When you break your glasses and need a quick fix, super glue is without a doubt a reliable remedy you can always count on. However, there is always the tendency to get excess glue on your glass lens and create a mess. So, how do you fix this issue?
Some methods to consider to get super glue off your glasses include toothpaste, rubbing the spot with isopropyl alcohol, or soaking the area with warm water and mild soap. Additionally, you can use an adhesive remover or essential natural oils to help soften and eliminate the glue.
This guide has put together the most effective ways to remove excess glue from your glasses without compromising functionality. Read on as we explain how best you can achieve this.
6 Different Ways to Remove Super Glue from Glasses
Here, we have identified six effective methods to guide you as you attempt to get super glue off your glasses. You will get a step-by-step process for each technique to aid you in getting your glasses back to being glue free.
1. Removal Using a Toothpaste
We bet you didn’t think a basic household item like toothpaste could help you remove that glue mess from your glasses, but now you do. That glass with excess glue stains has yet to be a write-off.
All you need to get that super glue off is white toothpaste, a damp cloth, and little water.
N.B: Avoid using toothpaste with micro-scrubbers or abrasive granules, as they can damage the glass lens.
White toothpaste is the best option because it works for both plastic and glass lenses. Here’s how to go about it.
- Dip a lint-free cloth into a bowl of water till it is sufficiently damp.
- Next, dampen the glued surface with a bit of water
- Apply a little white toothpaste on your damp cloth
- Carefully rub the glue surface with the fabric containing your toothpaste, preferably in a circular motion
- Repeat this movement until the glue gets softer and falls off
- Rinse your glasses with warm water and say goodbye to the super glue stain.
With this simple step, you get rid of the glue on your glasses by yourself without damaging any other part.
2. Rubbing Alcohol
It may surprise you that alcohol is also an effective cleaning agent and can work when you need to find a way to rid your glasses lens of any super glue residue. It acts as a solvent that helps free any dried-up glue on your glasses without damaging the lens.
In addition to this, it is safe to use on both plastic and glass lenses. All you’ll need for this process is
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Cotton swab
- Clean water
- Clean microfiber cloth.
You can restore your glasses to their original form using this tool and the process highlighted below.
- Take your cotton swab and dip it inside the alcohol
- Use the alcohol-filled cotton swab to dab on the surface the superglue is on
- Dab as much as you can and refill with alcohol if necessary
- Rinse your glasses with clean water and dry off with a clean cloth
If you use this method, we advise that you do a patch test first by dabbing a little alcohol on your glasses’ protective coat to ensure that it is compatible so you don’t end up ruining the glasses
3. Using Warm Water and Dish Soap
This method can be tagged the safest when removing super glue or other adhesives from your glasses, as many dissolving agents are harsh and pose a threat of potentially damaging your lenses.
A cup of warm water and, at best mild soap like your liquid dish soap will go a long way in helping you dissolve super glue on your lens, especially if you follow the process below. Get your ammonia-free dish soap, a warm cup of water, and a clean cloth ready.
- Mix 1-2 teaspoons of your liquid dish soap with water to form the solution you need
- Ensure that the soap dissolves completely into the water
- Soak your clean cloth in the water solution until it gets fully immersed
- Place the wet cloth on the glued surface
- Let the cloth stay on the surface for a few hours (2-3 hours); this way, it can soak adequately.
- Use plastic wrap to cover your work surface to retain moisture.
- After a few hours, remove the plastic wrap, and you will find that the glue is now soft.
- Wipe off the softened glue using a clean cloth and rinse the work area
- If you are not satisfied with the results, you can try this process again to ensure a thorough cleanse
- In extreme cases, you can use an object like a butter knife, razor blade, or nail file to remove very stubborn glue
Note that this method requires patience on your part. While it is possible for warm water to soften adhesives, it can take a while since there is no dissolvent to help this process happen faster.
4. Applying an Adhesive Remover
Here, we have the most radical approach to removing superglue from glasses. It involves using a solid adhesive remover like acetone nail polish remover or pure acetone.
Although this solution is guaranteed to work, it poses some risks, one of which is that since acetone is a strong solution, it could damage the coating of your eyeglasses if you are not careful. So, it is best for strong adhesives of up to 4000 psi.
Additionally, you need to be careful not only to maintain the quality of your eyeglasses but also because if you are not careful, this adhesive remover can damage your skin. Follow the easy process below to avoid such a hazard.
- Dip your cotton ball inside the acetone nail polish remover
- Carefully pat it on the glue surface to help soften the glue
- You can let the acetone soak for about 10 minutes before you continue this process
- Take another cotton ball and dip it inside the acetone a second time
- Now, rub the cotton ball all over the surface, so the glue falls off
- Rinse your glasses and dry them with a soft cloth when you get your desired result
N.B: This method is recommended for use only on a glass lens because using this solution on plastic lenses can lead to irreparable damage to the lens and frames if it comes in direct contact with this solution.
5. Removal Using Natural Oils
One of the many benefits of essential oils is their application in removing adhesives like superglue from items like your eyeglasses. The best essential oils to use are eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil.
They work as a dissolver for the super glue and are more effective than you would expect. All it takes is the right type of oil and the proper process to eliminate this super glue.
- Apply 4-5 drops of your preferred essential oil on your cotton ball
- Ensure that the oil circulates properly around the glue until it softens
- Using a little elbow grease, rub the surface till the bond falls off
- Rinse the glasses with warm soapy water once the glue is off
- Dry with a soft cloth when you finish
6. Using a Magic Eraser
This is the simplest method to remove unwanted glue from your glasses, and the best part is that you do not need to mix any solution or paste for this to work. All you’ll need is a magic eraser. Here’s how to use a magic eraser to get super glue off glasses
- First, purchase the magic eraser.
- Next, do a patch test on the corner edge of your lenses so you are sure of the compatibility
- Once you are sure it is compatible, gently rub the magic eraser on the surface of the glue till all parts of the glue fall off
- After the glue falls off, clean your glasses with warm soapy water and wipe them with a soft cloth
Removing super glue from your glasses, especially on the lens, is relatively easy if you follow the simple steps above. The simple solution is to avoid scratching or peeling the surface directly because you may damage your glasses’ integrity.
Instead, you should follow the steps listed above, and luckily, most of the tools you require are basic household items. Always remember these points if you ever find yourself in this situation.
- A cup of water goes a long way
- Avoid peeling or scratching the glasses
- Your choice of adhesive depends on the quality of your glasses
- Always use a lint-free or microfiber cloth instead of a paper towel to avoid scratching your glasses